Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My Friend Fibroid

I found out about a month before I got pregnant that I have a fibroid. Basically its a noncancerous tumor in the wall of my uterus. I'm not really very good at remembering all the technical stuff about it so I'm giving you a link to the Mayo Clinic's definition. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078

The beginning of November I started to have severe pelvic pain. They went through every reason from a kidney stone to severe constipation. And me being a hypochondriac, believed them all. I ended up having an ultrasound where they realized that my fibroid had grown from 4 centimeters to over 7 centimeters. It in no way harms the baby. In fact the baby is harming it by taking its main blood supply. It turns out that the severe pain I was experiencing was the fibroid dying a little because of the lack of blood supply. Unfortunately it hasn't shrunk enough and I am at high risk for a C-section. Its located in the front lower left side of my uterus and it can interfere with the placement of the baby and delivery. We won't know for sure until I am farther along. On a happy note, we get to have at least one more ultrasound. It will be around 30 weeks and based on that one they may do another at 36 weeks. I'm excited that I get the chance to see Maddie again and make sure everything is okay.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Well I am just excited about the extra ultrasounds you are getting....I am glad that it can't hurt my Maddie though.....tell her to suck the life out of it!

Manda said...

That's kind of scary. I hope everything works out okay! Keep us posted.

Mimi said...

Karen, I'm sorry to hear of the complication. Hopefully the fibroid will die away before time to give birth. Take care of yourself and "Maddie" of course. ;-)

Merry Christmas to you and Troy!

Brittany said...

I'm sorry about that extra pain!! I know how that can feel. But I liked the extra ultrasounds too. It's so fun to see them kicking around inside you...amazing! I'm sure everything will work out just fine! You are a trooper!