Tuesday, February 16, 2010

BB Cattle Production Sale

My parents have recently become owners of a cattle ranch in Connell, Washington. They co-own it with Joe Bennett. Joe's dad Bill Bennett has been in ranching his whole life and has gotten quite a reputation in the Hereford (a breed of cattle) world of superior genetics when it comes to cattle. Bill and his wife Norma decided to retire this year and Joe needed a new partner. My parents were honored to be approached by the Bennett family and have had such a great time learning the ranching business.

Every year in February, BB Cattle has what is called a Production Sale. Our cattle are not sold to feedlots. They are sold to other ranches for breeding. The sale is actually an auction held at the ranch. They added an online option this year. So you could purchase BB cattle from the comfort of your own home. Or just watch the whole thing like Ryan and his kids did in Kentucky. We had a retirement party for Bill and Norma the night before the sale. It ended up being the who's who of the Hereford world. It was really fun to see a bunch of people that had worked with my dad over the years and all the ranchers,executives, etc that had known Bill and Norma for the 50+ years they had been raising Herefords. We found out that night that Bill has registered the most Herefords ever in the American Hereford Associations database.

My sister Lisa let us use a couple of RV's from their fleet for the weekend. They own a Alaska tourism business and they rent RV's out in the summer to people who want to drive around Alaska. Can I just tell you that I want one now? Do you even know how much I loved sitting in the back knitting or making sandwiches all while we were driving down the road??? LOVED IT!!


Getting ready to leave for Connell

Troy loved driving around on his tractor. Sorry some of the pictures are poor quality because I didn't always have the camera and would have to use my cellphone.
A few of the bulls
This baby calf had been born the day before a little premature. He was so weak that we had to help him stand up.

Mad loved watching her daddy ride around and scrape the pens and the driveway on the tractor.

Not the greatest picture of Troy, but it's pretty much the only one of me that night so too bad for him. This was at the retirement party.

So many cowboys... So little time... hahahaha!

My Dad's boss Craig Huffines is the President of the American Hereford Association. And of course my Mom. Can you believe how skinny she has gotten? I know!

My Dad and Norma. Someday I want to grow up to be Norma.

Derek and his new Fiancee Natasha (I'll blog about that soon!!). That is a terrible picture of Natasha. I promise I will get a picture on here that does her justice.

Gosh they are cute!

This was taken on our way home at a place called Judy's in Royal City. We have always wanted to stop there because there was a sign out front that said Judy's Great Food. I wouldn't say it was great, but it was good. haha!
I didn't get any pictures of the sale because I was in the RV with Nick J most of the actual sale. He was having seizures that day and missed the whole thing. Poor kid. He is doing a lot better now.

No comments: