Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Macaroni Pie

I love Macaroni and Cheese! I'm a little obsessed with it actually. My favorite place to get Mac and Cheese is Beecher's in Pike's Place (www.beechershandmadecheese.com), but I don't get down there very often. In fact now that I think about it, I haven't been in almost a year!

My Mother in Law, Lucy gave me this recipe for Macaroni Pie. She lived in South Carolina when she was younger and newly married to Troy's Dad and she had a friend there that informed her that Thanksgiving was not complete without Macaroni Pie. I guess its a Southern thing, but I am loving the tradition!

Macaroni Pie
3 cups of Elbow Macaroni Noodles (really you can use whatever noodles you want)
3/4 cup Butter
3 Eggs
1 cup cream
3 1/4 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 1/2 cup Milk
3/4 cup Breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese

Boil noodles, drain and add 1/2 cup butter (chopped into pieces). Beat the eggs and cream together and add to the noodles. Stir in the cheddar cheese to the mixture. Salt and Pepper to taste. Put in a 9 X 13 pan. Pour milk over the top of the noodles. Mix breadcrumbs, parmesan, and melted 1/4 cup of butter and spread over the top of the noodles. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

It makes a lot of mac and cheese, but it is a great meal to reheat. I almost like it better the next day and I am not a big fan of leftovers.

3 comments:

Dawn Zorer said...

Thanks for the Mac pie, i have been asking Lucy for it for a whole, and with her busy life she has been forgetting.
I am so happy to have it.
hope you are well, great to see you on the 4th.

Dawn Zorer said...

I also have to say, my favorite recipes all come from Lucy. She is such a great cook. Thanks again for sharing. :)

Mimi said...

Thanks Karen. I keep looking for a good recipe. I've tried two different ones, (one with eggs?) and was not impressed. Maybe this one will be IT. I hope so...with so many grandchildren, every grandmother needs a good recipe for Macaroni and Cheese!